Saturday, March 22, 2014

Spring is Here!

Man, did the groundhog get it right this year!  It’s been the longest six extra weeks of winter, EVER!  And I live in South Texas so I’m sure this sound like a HUGE understatement to all y’all Northerns.  However, I have finally seen signs of Spring around my house.  It’s finally time we can get our gardens ready.  I’m going to share with you how I created some Herb Seed Balls.  This little activity is the perfect way to kick off the new season! I am part of a local MOPs group (Mothers of Preschoolers) and I am in charge of Creative Activities for the group.  Probably not surprised about the position I chose, huh?  I thought this would be the perfect spring activity for our group.  We used herb seeds because who doesn’t like fresh herbs and they are easy to grow.  First, I had to try out this activity at home before potentially leading the masses into crafting mayhem.  Red Art Clay supplies Supplies you’ll need:
  • 4 cups Red Art Clay - (I purchased this from a local clay store.  Do not fret they do sell it in smaller amounts!)  My suggestion for finding some near you is to do a quick Google Search and see what pops up in your area.
  • 1 cup Organic Starter Mix – All the tutorials I read used garden mix.  This Organic Starter Mix is more like a potting soil.  I figured the little seeds needed all the help they could get since we live in a big sand pit.  So long story short, it will work with potting soil as well.
  • 2 cups Water
  • Seeds – I purchased herb seeds from High Mowing Seeds.  They have a great selection of organic seeds.  The best types of seeds for an activity like this would be herb, annuals or wildflowers.  If you want to do wildflower seed balls save this activity for the Fall.  
  • Bucket to mix all the ingredients.
  • Cookie Sheet to dry the seed balls.
  • Gloves to keep those manicures in check.
  • Bonus item – Medium Scoop – I’m all about the handy helper tools!
Now, let’s get dirty!  Mix your Red Art Clay, Soil, and seeds.  Mix well before adding water.  Add water SLOWLY!  You are trying to create a sticky clay-like mixture, not too soupy.  You are looking for the consistency of cookie dough.  If its too watery, just a little more Red Art Clay until you get. mixture Now grab your scoop and start scooping.  This will make about 5 dozen seed balls.  image Once you have them all scooped out they need to air dry COMPLETELY!  It took these try about 2 full days to dry however it could take up to 4 days.  If they don’t dry completely they could start germinating before you are ready.  When they are dry its time to “plant” them.  Literally throw them in your garden beds and keep watered.  Its that easy!  Soon enough you’ll really have something to smile about. plants













No comments:

Post a Comment